This 1861 painting of the waterfront shows the variety of ships in the harbour, ranging from the common European sailing ships, to the newer steamships, with their funnels, to Chinese junks and Bugis prahus.
Source: Wong Hong Suen. Singapore through 19th Century Prints and Paintings (2010).
"The view of Singapore from the harbour shows Mount Faber (originally Telok Blangah Hill) on the [far] left and Beach Road on the [far] right. Directly beneath the flagstaff one can see Singapore Institution (Raffles Institution). To its right are houses along Beach Road, with gardens fronting the sea, and St Andrew's Church. Among the tall trees growing to the left of the Padang are the Court House and the mouth of the Singapore River." – Wong Hong Suen.