Drum Horse, Front View 1895


The 20th were posted to India in 1895 and the band were mounted on greys procured at or near Mhow where they were stationed. The new drum horse seen here is carrying the kettle drums covered with the crimson velvet banners that seem to have lasted them until 1922. The battle honours for SUAKIN 1885 and VIMIERA were granted to the 20th after their return from Egypt in 1889 and either added to the existing banners or else new ones were made from scratch. The two banners were identical and we can see from this view that Vimiera was on the left and Suakin 1885 on the right. The award for PENINSULA remained in the middle under Queen Victoria's cypher. The near side of this drum horse can be seen on this page.


Regimental Details | Musicians and Trumpeters




Share



by Stephen Luscombe