Band c1911


The 20th Hussars returned from Ireland in 1911 and were stationed at Colchester where this photo was probably taken. The bandmaster seated with an officer in the middle is Charles Clement Hartley. He has a band badge on his sleeve and wears a similar frock-coat to the officer. All ranks wear the new red forage cap which remained part of military uniform for the next 100 years and beyond. Apart from some of the younger musicians, the band wear white leather pouch-belts which have white pouches on the back for sheet music.


Regimental Details | Musicians and Trumpeters




Share



by Stephen Luscombe