Roger William Henry Palmer was born in 1832, the son of a wealthy landowner in Ireland. The family home was Kenure House, Rush, County Dublin. He was educated at Eton and was commissioned into the 11th Hussars. As a lieutenant he served in the Crimean War and was in the Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaklava on 25 Oct 1854. In 1856 he exchanged into the 2nd Life Guards and retired in 1881. He was Colonel of the 20th Hussars from June 1891 until his death in May 1910.
He was Conservative MP for Mayo from 1857 to 1865 and succeeded his father to be 5th and last baronet. He owned 115,000 acres of land, including Castle Lackin in Mayo, Cefn Park, Wrexham, and Glenisland House in Maidenhead. He built Glen Island House in Taplow. He married Gertrude Rooper who survived him and died in 1929. The photo shows him as a captain in 1860.
Regimental Details | Colonels