St James's Church, Delhi


St James Church had been commissioned by Colonel Skinner (1778-1841). While lying wounded on the field of battle he made a vow that if he survived he would build a church in thanks for his life being saved. The church was started in 1826 and completed ten years later. During the Uprising of 1857 the Church was damaged by shellfire. The dome of the church was topped by a copper ball and cross, which had been used by sepoys in 1857 for target practice.


Indian Mutiny | Delhi | Delhi Images





Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV & Film | Wargames |



by Stephen Luscombe