King's Dragoon Guards


Officer's Tunic, 1900 - 1914


The scarlet tunic with dark blue velvet collar and cuffs and gold cord and lace decoration was worn without collar badges up to 1900. The badge of the double-headed eagle was granted to the regiment when Emperor Franz-Josef of Austria-Hungary was made Colonel of the 1st King's Dragoon Guards. The badge was not used during the First World War. The Austrian knot on the sleeve had nothing to do with Franz-Josef as it had been used since 1871. This knot became more complicated as the wearer ascended in rank.

Courtesy of Bosleys Military Auctioneers


Regiment | Uniforms




Share



by Stephen Luscombe