This photo of Sergeant R L J Hearn was published in Cavalry WOs' and NCOs' Arm Badges by David Linaker and Gordon Dine. It shows the khaki battledress blouse that was worn in World War 2. At first it was worn by other ranks with the top button fastened but in 1944 they were issued with collared shirts and ties to wear with the open collar. Officers collars were designed like a modern jacket, pressed flat, and battledress for all ranks followed suit soon after the War. It was an unpopular uniform made of itchy material and was replaced by smarter khaki service dress around 1961.
The silver NCOs Arm Badge is worn on the chevrons here. It has the King's Crown which was used from 1902 to c1960. A version with the crown of Queen Elizabeth II was not introduced until the 1960s by which date the regiment had amalgamated with the 4th Hussars. The type seen in this photo has voided space inside the harp, above and below the strings. A green backing cloth could be seen in the spaces. The cloth badge at the top of his sleeve is a Formation Badge of the 7th Armoured Division worn by the Desert Rats.
Uniforms | Regimental details