24th Regiment of Foot


Grenadier 1768


The cloth grenadier cap was discontinued in 1768 in favour of a bearskin cap with a universal metal plate on the front with the royal crest in white metal on a black ground. The red coat was shorter and closer fitting than before, with a turned down collar. The collar, lapels and cuffs were decorated with white metal buttons, with raised 24 on them, and white lace that had two coloured stripes, red and green. The lace was also sewn on to the shoulders, worn by grenadiers only. This is the uniform worn during the campaign of 1776-81 in North America.


Uniforms | Regimental Details




Share




by Stephen Luscombe