The 24th had been stationed in Canada since 1829, serving there for 12 years before returning to the UK. They embarked at Quebec on 16th June 1841 and arrived at Plymouth on 26th and 28th July. They were then quartered in Devonport until April 1843. This print is dated 1841 but the location is unclear. It is a very valuable source of information on the uniforms of the regiment and shows the diversity of the different companies.
The man on the left with a flat-topped fur cap is a pioneer. Traditionally they paraded on the right of the line and marched at the front of the column. One or two would be posted to each company and use their axe or pick-axe to remove any obstacle that may hinder the company's progress. His coat is the same pattern as the other soldiers, with green and white epaulettes on the shoulders. He has a white apron under his waist-belt. The belts are of black leather and the shoulder belt supports the axe on his back. He has white gauntlets and carries the musket, with black rifle-sling.
The corporal next to him is from the grenadier company, distinguished by his fur cap. On his shoulders are flank company wings with white tufted edges. His coat is single-breasted with ten buttons down the front in pairs and decorated with plain white tape. The green cuffs have a red slash with four laced buttons, also in pairs. Next to him is a private from a battalion company with epaulettes and a plain white ball-tuft on his shako. The man on the end is a light company soldier with flank company shoulder wings and a green ball-tuft on his shako. His coat-tails are decorated with small green bugle badges. The artist has obligingly turned this man around to show us the equipment carried in full marching order. This method of carrying their necessaries hardly changed from the Napoleonic wars up until the Crimea. The rifles they carry are flintlocks; in 1842 they were issued with percussion muskets which were still smooth-bore and muzzle-loading.
Uniforms | Regimental Details