26th Regiment of Foot


Privates 1806


The shako was changed from leather to felt in 1806 and the privates here show the front, with the large brass shako plate, and the back with the soft leather fall to protect the neck in extremes of weather. The red and white plume is for battalion companies, flank companies had white for grenadiers and green for light infantry. The latter had a stringed bugle badge. The jacket is a duller red than the officer's, and is laced with the pattern used by the 26th since 1768, white with a central blue line and two yellow lines. See Other Rank's jacket c1810. The white leather belts are for ammunition pouch and bayonet. There are two strings hanging from the belts that have a brush and picker on the ends for cleaning the firing mechanism of the musket. The white breeches and black gaiters were for parade wear but these were put aside on service when white trousers were worn, until 1812 when blue/grey was adopted.


Uniforms | Regimental Details




Share




by Stephen Luscombe