Officer c1812


Since 1797 the coats worn by infantry were fastened to the waist. But skirts at the back became shorter by 1811 when a general order regulating officer*Os dress was issued. The dark green facings were visible on the high collar, the round cuffs and the lapels which are shown here half turned back. They were sometimes worn fully buttoned up, but in dress or review order a special coat was worn which had long tails and lapels folded back to the waist. From its earliest days the 55th were a gold lace regiment so that the buttons and epaulettes were gold and the button loops were formed from narrow gold lace and placed in pairs on the lapels and cuff. This officer is in a battalion company because he has an epaulette. We cannot see if he has one on the other shoulder which would make him a field officer, junior officers only had the one. Flank companies had wings on both shoulders whatever their rank. Grey trousers were normally worn except for formal occasions when white breeches were worn. The other ranks were wearing a shako from 1800 but officers of battalion companies continued to wear a bicorn hat until 1812 when they adopted the Waterloo shako, reserving the bicorn for evening functions.


Uniforms | Regimental Details




Share



by Stephen Luscombe