Albert Shako 1844-55


The new shako introduced in 1844 was designed from an idea by Prince Albert the Queen's Consort. This surviving example is an officer's shako. It is almost straight sided so that the diameter of the top is only a quarter of an inch smaller than the bottom. There is a peak at the back as well as the front, and no caplines were attached as they had been with the bell-topped shako. A new badge was worn which was entirely gilt comprising central number 3 surrounded by a garter inscribed 3rd EAST KENT which in turn was surrounded by a wreath of laurel and palm and placed on a star inscribed with 6 battle honours from the Peninsula War. A further two honours were on a scroll below the crown and below the garter. On top of the shako is an ornate gilt holder to support the red and white ball tuft. The flank companies still existed at this stage so the tufts were as follows: white and red for battalion companies, white for the grenadier company and green for the light company.


Uniforms | Regimental Details




Share



by Stephen Luscombe