In 1900 a number of highlanders then living in Edinburgh decided to form a kilted battalion from within the city for service in South Africa. It was known as the Highland battalion, Queen's Rifle Volunteer Brigade. On 29th July 1900 it was recognised as an independent unit and designated as 9th (Highlanders) Volunteer Battalion, the Royal Scots. A number of officers and men from the 9th served with the volunteer service companies of the Royal Scots in South Africa. In 1908 when the Volunteer regiments became the Territorial Army, they retained their number. In 1914 the battalion went to France to join the 27th Division.
The uniform was the glengarry and scarlet doublet with blue facings and the collar badge of the Royal Scots. The kilt was in the Hunting Stewart tartan with a white goat's hair sporran and black tassels. The cantle was black edged in silver and having the badge of St Andrew within a wreath.
Uniforms | Regimental Details