During the late 19th century the martial music was provided by the pipes and drums. It is not clear at what stage other musical instruments were introduced. But this photo shows the Supreme Allied Commander for the Allied Forces in Europe, General Gruenther, inspecting the band of the 1st Battalion in Edinburgh in May 1956. The venue is the Castle Esplanade with Arthur's Seat in the background.
The man with his back to us is a Warrant Officer as can be seen by his sword and sash. He holds a clarinet and is wearing a blue no1 bandsman's doublet and Kilmarnock bonnet. The officer standing next to the General must be the commanding officer and next to him is the bandmaster, an officer with a gold embroidered band badge on his sleeve.
Band | Uniforms | Regimental Details