|The uniform worn in the Peninsular War had a more 19th century look because of the introduction of the shako. The first type was the black stovepipe which was straight sided and had a plume at the front, green for light companies. The cap was made of lacquered material at first but was changed to felt in 1806. The shako-plate at the front has the bugle horn badge and can be seen at Light Company Shako Badge 1807. His short-tailed coat is laced as before with plain white lace and has blue flank company wings on the shoulder with a white tufted fringe round the edge. Sergeants would have worn gold lace instead of white.
White trousers were still worn at this stage, changing to grey after 1812. The crossed white belts carried the pouch and bayonet and had a brass belt plate on the front. When in marching order the knapsack was worn. This was a more box-like type than the folding type worn in the 1790s. The grey caped greatcoat, introduced in 1802, was rolled up on top of this.
Uniforms | Regimental Details