Lieutenant's Tunic 1855


The first pattern tunic that was adopted by the infantry and the Guards was double-breasted so that the lapels could be folded back or buttoned over. The lapels, collar and cuffs are of dark blue cloth and edged with white piping. The piping also continues down the front edge of the tunic. The body is close fitting but the sleeves are roomier than on the old coatee. The skirts are long; the height of the officer determined the length so that an officer of 5ft 9ins had a skirt of 14 inches. There was a variation of half an inch in the skirt for every inch in the height of the officer.

The collar is rounded at the front with gold embroidery on the front part, either side. A silver embroidered thistle was sewn on the gold. See Detail of Collar. There is a line of gold embroidery round the top for officers up to the rank of lieutenant. The badges of rank were sewn on the collar, a crown for an ensign, and a crown and star for a lieutenant. This tunic has a crown and star although only the crown is visible from the front. See Detail of Back of Collar. Ranks above this had a further row of gold lace round the lower edge of the collar. Lieutenants who were brevet-majors had a star, captains had a crown, majors and lieutenant-colonels had a crown and star. They also had a double row of lace round the top of the cuff and a single row of lace along the edges of the pocket flaps at the back. The 1855 Dress Regulations stipulate a scarlet silk cord on the left shoulder, with a small scarlet button, to retain the officer's crimson sash, but this example has no cord.

The back of the tunic has false pockets on the skirt, edged with white piping and three gilt buttons on each side placed on shaped gold embroidery. See Detail of Back of Skirt.


Uniforms | Regimental Details




Share



by Stephen Luscombe