Officer 1687



There is little information on the early uniform of he Earl of Peterborough's Horse but an account of the review on Hounslow Heath in 1686 speaks of the regiment having red coats lined with red. In his official history of the Queen's Bays, Cannon produced a plate of an officer dated 1687 on which this modern illustration by Bob Marrion is based. Rank was indicated with extra lace on the coat and horse furniture. In battle they put an iron cap, called a pot, inside the hat for protection. The cuirass was discontinued as part of the mens' uniform in 1689 but officers may have continued to wear them. They are usually to be seen in officers' portraits well into the 18th century.


Regimental details | Uniforms




Share




by Stephen Luscombe