Officers' Buttons 1830-1959



The Queen's Dragoon Guards were a silver laced regiment before 1830 and had silver buttons. From 1830 they had gold lace and gilt buttons. The design on the left, taken from Major Parkyn's book on Shoulder-Belt Plates and Buttons, was probably the same as the previous silver one, and this was worn on dress and undress uniforms up until 1880. The design in the middle was adopted in 1880 along with other changes. The device is a reverse version of the VR cypher with a 2 and a Victorian crown above. This button is described by Parkyn, as is the next button on the right which was worn from 1904 until amalgamation in 1959. Other ranks' tunic buttons were of universal Royal Arms design.


Regimental details | Badges




Share




by Stephen Luscombe