Cap Badge



The word BAYS in Old English script surrounded with a laurel wreath and surmounted by a crown. The crown in this case is Queen Victoria's, but it changed to the King's Crown in 1901 and the QEII crown in 1952. The nickname 'Bays' was adopted in 1767 when the regiment was ordered to be mounted solely on long-tailed bay horses. The title of Queen's was from Queen Caroline the wife of King George II. This badge was used on officers' sabretaches from c1872 when the nickname became an official title.


Regimental details | Badges




Share




by Stephen Luscombe