The Bays on The Somme


On 6 Sep 1916 'A' Squadron of the Queen's Bays moved forward into Carnoy Valley in the area of the Somme. This photo shows the mounted squadron all wearing steel helmets by this time, loaded with much kit and bags of horse feed. In the foreground is a staff sergeant with three stripes and a crown above. The rank badges changed in 1915 when second class Warrant Officers were instituted. Before 1915 the crown and 3 stripes denoted Squadron Sergeant-Major.


Regimental details




Share




by Stephen Luscombe