Officer's Cap, Light Troop c1760


The colour of the caps in the Scots Greys changed from red to blue in 1751, having a red flap at the base with the White Horse of Hanover and motto NEC ASPERA TERRENT on a scroll above it. The whole regiment wore the tall mitre cap at that stage but in 1756 they were ordered to have a Light Troop. The caps were jockey style but with an upright front having a similar design as the mitre cap but smaller. This well-preserved example is the officer's cap embroidered with gold, silver and coloured thread. The other ranks had a similar design but embroidered with worsted thread. The horse-hair plume is draped over the top but was more often hanging to the side of the cap to show the red white and blue colours.


Regimental Details | Uniforms




Share



by Stephen Luscombe