Warrant Officers, Battledress 1946


Khaki battledress, introduced in 1939 was universal for British troops. The warrant officers in this 1946 photo are wearing post-war battledress which has the rolled collars so that a shirt and tie could be worn with it. The high ranking NCOs had the privilege of wearing this style while the rank and file still had the blouse that fastened at the neck as can just be seen on the men standing behind them, although the collars have been left open. The WO2 nearest us is a Squadron Sergeant Major with a crown and wreath badge. In 1948 the badge for that rank was a crown. The other WO2 is a Mechanist Quartermaster Sergeant with his appointment badge of a crossed hammer and pincers, the ancient sign of a smith. This appointment disappeared in 1952, replaced by REME trained mechanics. They have the regimental sergeant's badge of the silver Eagle on a black backing. Their berets are black in line with the Royal Armoured Corps uniform.


Regimental Details | Uniforms




Share



by Stephen Luscombe