The 13th served in the West Indies from 1806 to 1813, and in North America until 1815 when they returned home. It is doubtful that they received the new style uniform issued in 1812, until they were in England. The years around the turn of the century saw the development of military uniform turn decisively away from any resemblance to civilian clothes. The cocked hat was only worn in levee dress by regimental officers, and by staff officers. The shako replaced the hat, and went through two stages before the appearance of the Waterloo shako of 1812-15. The cap was lower, 6.3 inches, but the raised front was 8.25 inches high. There was a universal plate on the front and a plaited cord of gold and crimson for officers, white for the men. Tassels hung on the right side. As a battalion company officer he has a white over red plume on the left. The 13th were still not a light infantry regiment so had battalion companies, a light company and a grenadier company.
The coat was by this time buttoned to the waist so that a waistcoat was no longer needed. It was double breasted and the short tails were only to be seen from the sides and back. The stand collar was now a feature on its own without the lapels, although these could still be seen when folded back at the top. The single epaulette on the right shoulder was worn by officers below field rank. Two epaulettes were worn by majors, lieutenant-colonels and above. The white leather shoulder belt supported the sword and was held in place by the crimson silk waist sash. The belt plate on the front was silver to match his buttons and lace. Normally the Hessian boots would be worn with white breeches but grey breeches were ordered for foreign service. The most common form of nether-wear for active service was grey overalls which would be worn with ankle boots.
Regimental Details | Uniforms