Other Rank's Glengarry Badge 1874-81


The round shape of the badge continued after 1881 when they became the South Wales Borderers. The title 2nd Warwickshire was given them in 1782 when all infantry regiments were allotted a territorial title for recruitment purposes. The 6th, as the more senior regiment were made 1st Warwickshire so the 24th had to be 2nd. The Egyptian Sphinx was awarded to the 24th in July 1802 following their contribution to the British assault on the French at Aboukir Bay and Alexandria in 1801.


Regimental Badges | Regimental details




Share



by Stephen Luscombe