Band c1870


The band was a separate unit from the Corps of Drums and were distinguished by their white tunics. Bands had worn white uniforms since the latter part of the 18th century, although there was no regulation from the authorities at that time because bands were paid for from regimental funds or the pockets of rich officers. Finally in 1830 it was officially ordered that bands wear white. The band in this photo wear the white tunics with green collars, pointed cuffs and shoulder wings. But they have undress glengarry caps instead of the shako. On some occasions the waist-length shell jacket was worn, as can be seen in the group on the right of the earlier Group Photo of 1862. Some of the musicians are wearing the scarlet tunic which does not have shoulder wings. Perhaps these are new band members. There are two band sergeants seated around the large time-beater's drum. One has the scarlet tunic, with wings, and the other has the white tunic. In 1871 it was decided that maintaining clean white tunics was too difficult and that musicians often wore recently washed, unhealthily damp jackets, and in future bands were ordered to wear scarlet tunics.


Regimental details | Regimental Band




Share



by Stephen Luscombe