This Colour replaced the large Colour carried by the 24th in the Sikh War of 1848. The second Battalion which had been raised in 1858 received a similar Regimental Colour in 1859. There is nothing on this Colour indicating which battalion it belonged to. The last three battle honours, PUNJAUB, CHILLIANWALLAH and GOOJERAT were awarded on 14th Dec 1852. The first battle honour EGYPT was awarded on 6th July 1802. TALAVERA, FUENTES D'ONOR, PYRENEES and ORTHES were awarded on 29th July 1817. CAPE OF GOOD HOPE on 21st June 1824, NIVELLE on 24th July 1824, SALAMANCA and VITTORIA on 20th Sep 1824. PENINSULA (not Peninsular) was first awarded to the old 2nd battalion on 29th March 1815 and conferred on the regiment on 15th Feb 1825.
The size of this Colour was 4'6" flying and 4' on the pole. The top of the pole had the Royal crest instead of the pike point. These dimensions and pole top were authorised in 1858 along with the order that no battle honour should be placed above the crown. The Queen's Colour had no battle honours. The Colour is of the regimental facing colour, green. In 1881 the new white facings meant that the South Wales Borderers were supposed to have the flag of St George as their Regimental Colour but the green Colour remained in use until the 1930s.
Regimental details | Regimental Colours