The Alexandria Vase


The silver vase that was commissioned by the Highland Society of London c1802 for presentation to the Black Watch in commemoration of their valour at the Battle of Alexandria in 1801.� It remained at the makers� while the dispute between the society and the regiment lasted, which was until 1817.� The cup is supported by a central column and three legs which rest on a silver base that in turn rests on the backs of three Sphinxes. The two-stepped base is probably the ebony stand that was added in 1869 when the vase was renovated. It can be seen at the Black Watch Museum, Balhousie Castle, Perth. �


Regimental Details




Share



by Stephen Luscombe