Tangier 1680


Tangier is situated on the north coast of Morocco near the Strait of Gibraltar. England received the port as the dowry from Portugal on the marriage of King Charles II to the infanta Catherine of Braganza. The initial garrison was the unit that was known as the Tangier Regiment and became the Queen's Royal Regiment of Foot (2nd Queen's Royal West Surreys). The Moors under Sultan Moulay Ismail blockaded the harbour and forced the English to leave in 1684. Before they left they destroyed the town and the 1,436 ft long mole they had constructed at a cost of 340,000 pounds.


Regimental Details




Share



by Stephen Luscombe