This is a detail from an drawing in The Illustrated London News dated April 1856. The double-breasted tunic that replaced the old coatee is to be seen on the barrack guard at the back. This was out of date in 1856, being replaced by the single-breasted type. The Corps of Drums, however had single-breasted tunics at this stage. The drummer's tunic now has wings instead of fringed epaulettes and the skirts are quite full. The Drum-Major has gold lace across his chest, framed by a single line of lace, in the same style as the front of the pre-1855 coat. The gold chevrons cover his sleeves and point upwards. His four rank chevrons are on the upper sleeve and point down. He has shoulder wings of gold lace and The drum-major's sash looks quite plain and has two drumsticks tucked into it.
The caption to the illustration describes the mace he is holding as a silver-mounted blackthorn stick, six feet high, 'presented by Captain Charles Baring to the Drums of the Coldstream Guards 1855'.
Regimental details | Regimental Band