Shako Badge 1855


The flaming grenade badge has the gilt rose within the blue enamelled Garter and crown over it. The rose and garter badge dates from 1685, and can be seen on cannons of that period. Just below the garter is the silver White Horse of Hanover. This elaborately flamed version is a large badge which was worn on the shako that replaced the fur cap for about 20 years in the middle of the 19th century. The symbol of the flaming grenade, or bomb, was used by the Grenadier Guards and grenadier companies of infantry regiments as the sign of an elite unit. This badge was auctioned at Bosley's on 14th March 2007.


Regimental Details | Badges




Share



by Stephen Luscombe