Machine-Gun Guards Cap Badge 1917


On the formation of the Guards Division in 1915, battalion machine-gun sections were formed into brigade machine-gun companies. In Nov 1916 a Guards Machine-Gun Training Centre was formed at the Depot. In Feb 1917 a Divisional machine-gun officer was appointed and shortly afterwards all machine-gunners of the Guards Division became members of a new regiment, the Machine-Gun Guards. A 4th company joined the Division in Mar 1917. When the Household Cavalry were converted into 3 motor machine-gun battalions in Feb 1918, the Guards were numbered 4th (Foot Guards) Battalion. The '5 in 1' star badge has a motto: QUINQUE JUNCTA IN UNO (five joined as one). The points formed from bullets and miniature badges of the 5 Foot Guards regiments placed in between.


Regimental details | Badges




Share



by Stephen Luscombe