Map of Breda 1624


This interesting map of Breda is schematic than topographically accurate. The town of Breda is in the centre with its elaborately designed walls and moat. The layout of the buildings seems to be arranged around the cleverly redirected course of the river Merck. There are extensions from the walls that were forts on the main compass points with other smaller ones between. The south fort appears to be called Bospoort which is probably the Bosgate area that the English troops defended. Spinola's defences built around the city are clearly shown. The village of Ginneken is on the left of the map with the church in red, which was a food store destroyed by fire. Spinola had his quarters just south of the village, protected in a walled compound. The village and forts of Terhayden astride the river can be seen on the right of the picture just east of the fortified camp of St Paolo Baglioni. These forts were attacked by the English on 17th May.


Regimental Details




Share



by Stephen Luscombe