Regimental Mascots c1907



The only evidence of a regimental mascot in the South Wales Borderers is to be found in pictures of these two wildebeest brought back from South Africa after the Boer War by the 2nd Battalion. This painting by Edgar Holloway is entitled Strangers in the Village, measuring 19x26cms. It was published in the Parker gallery catalogue of 2001. A photo of the same animals was published in Regiment magazine in 1998 but with a handler wearing the Broderick cap. Both pictures are post-1905 which is the year when the regiment changed the uniform from white to green facings. In the painting the handler wears white gauntlet gloves and the animals have brass tips on their horns. Behind the wall are two bandsmen who give us a view of the white pouch-belt worn over the right shoulder.



Regimental details




Share



by Stephen Luscombe