August 15, 1967 - September 30, 1969 |
Lindsay was born in Arkona, Ontario on February 4, 1909. He graduated from the University of Saskatchewan in 1930 with a degree in Economics and Political Science. Joining the Force on June 1, 1934 he returned to university while performing police duties and obtained a Bachelor of Laws Degree in 1937. He was one of the first group of university students sponsored by the Force.
After training at Depot, Regina, he served in Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Manitoba and Ontario. He attended the National Defence College in Kingston for one year and returned to Ottawa to become Adjutant of the Force in 1955. In 1958, he was appointed Director of Administration and Organization, during which time he researched a revision of RCMP administration, discipline and pension provisions. In 1963 he was appointed Deputy Commissioner, first in Administration, then in Operations. On August 15, 1967, he was appointed 14th Commissioner of the RCMP.
During his term in office, the Royal Commission on Security made its report recommending that the Forceās security and intelligence service be replaced by a civilian security service. It was not approved at this time but led to much controversy on civilian appointments. Lindsay advocated bilingualism in the Force, replaced sled dogs with snowmobiles thereby ending the dog patrol era, and instituted training courses for aboriginals to perform police duties under RCMP supervision which were the first step toward Native bands sharing in the maintenance of law and order in their own communities. He was elected Vice President of the International Criminal Police Organization at Kyoto, Japan in 1967 and greatly increased the contact of the Force with Interpol's head office and other member countries. Perhaps the best example of coordinated police action was the work of the mounted police in 1968 which enabled the FBI to find the assassin of the Reverend Martin Luther King.
Lindsay retired from the Force on September 30, 1969. He held the RCMP Long Service Medal, the Canadian Centennial Medal and the Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal. In 1968, he was made Commander Brother of the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. In 1969 he was admitted to the Bar of the Northwest Territories. He died in Ottawa on May 3, 1983 and was interred at Lakeview Cemetery, Kirkfield, Ontario.