Truncheon



This illustration by Brian Fosten depicts the famous symbol of the 2nd Gurkhas c1897. It is a bronze staff, about 6ft. high depicting three Gurkhas of the Mutiny period supporting a silver crown. The silver band below them bears the inscription: MAIN PIQUET, HINDU RAO'S HOUSE, DELHI 1857. This is repeated in Nagri characters further down. The Truncheon was to receive all the normal honours paid to a Queen's Colour and recruits were to swear allegiance to the Crown by touching it. An extra Indian officer was allowed on the establishment to carry the Truncheon. When the Sirmoors became a British regiment and the native officers took on British ranks the officer carrying the Truncheon was still called the Truncheon Jemadar. The jemadar here is dressed in the native officer's full dress, the tunic being very plain compared to the British officer's tunic. The slash cuff is piped red and the red collar has a kukri badge on each side to denote his junior officer rank (subadar has crossed kukris). His pouchbelt is fitted with bronze whistle, chain and badge, the chain being attached to a ram's head.



Regimental details | Truncheon




Share




by Stephen Luscombe