Wismar, 1924


Wismar was a settlement located 65 miles up the River Demerara and was as far up as the colonial steamers would travel. The navigable portion of the river extended for a further 15 miles only. Despite advances in rail and road technology, rivers still played a crucial role in the economy of British Guiana. This 1924 photograph shows the lumber industry and 'McKenzie City' which was the headquarters of the Demerara Bauxite Company.


Images | British Guiana




Share