Henry Fitzhardinge Berkeley Maxse


Fitz Maxse had been present at the Charge of the Light Brigade as one of Cardigan's ADCs. Ironically, he had been the only infantryman in that famous cavalry action.

In 1863 Maxse went to Heligoland as lieutenant-governor, and was appointed governor there on 6 February 1864. His long tenure as governor coincided with an eventful period in the island's history. The reformed constitution was established in 1868, the gaming tables were abolished in 1870, and Maxse had to face the consequent financial difficulties and complaints of the islanders. During his administration Heligoland was also linked by telegraph cable to the mainland.  


Heligoland | Heligoland Administrators




Share