Located directly opposite to the General Post Office, this was the European hospital and Dispensary in Kuching. Built in 1909, it was the first public building in Sarawak to be over two storeys high. Built with a concrete frame, it is supported by mangrove timber (or bakau) piling. European convalescents would enjoy the view from the roof as the sun set beyond the Sarawak River. It was later the medical headquarters when a new hospital was built in the 1930s.
Image Courtesy of The National Archives