First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
The Depression Years
The 1930s was a difficult time for colonies of all nations
- The Depression deflated prices of raw materials and crops
- Exactly the kind of economic sectors that the colonies depended upon.
- Somerset Maugham wrote many stories set in this time highlighting the economic difficulties of colonies especially in SE Asia.
Colonies were becoming an economic liability rather than an asset
- Plus it complicated and escalated defence costs
- Eg Britain diverting funds to resist rising Japanese power in Asia