First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
The Second World War
European powers went to war with one another in 1939.
- In the case of Britain, the Dominions followed suit from choice - the direct rule colonies and mandates had no choice
- Australia, Canada, New Zealand straight away
- South Africa was a little slower but eventually joined
At first the war was confined to Europe
- The Germans had lost their colonies after WW1
- Lebensraum was a Euro-centric colonial plan by the Nazis
- Slav nations would provide labour for pastoral German Aryan landowners
But it spread to North African colonies as Italy joined the war.
- Libya, Somaliland, Ethiopia
- Italy invaded Egypt but repulsed
- Afrika-Korps sent to stiffen Italians
Holland and France were defeated by Germany in 1940
- What was to become of their colonies?
Japan entered the war in December 1941
- Turning into true World War.