First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Churchill had won the war but he lost the election in 1945.
- The electoral System?
- Country ready for change?
- ‘A land fit for heroes’
- Cooperation and collectivism had become normal during WW2
- Zeitgeist captured more effectively by Labour
- Conservatives blamed for depression and appeasement leading to war.
- Labour no longer an unknown quantity
- Many key Labour politicians had worked with distinction throughout WW2 coalition
- Over confidence by a ‘tired’ Churchill