First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
There were clamours for war on both sides.
Imperialists and nationalists realised that this was the last piece of the ‘jigsaw puzzle’ of Africa
The Germans encouraged the French and promised that they would not take advantage of a busy France if they did fight a war.
However, both the British and French realised that they had more to lose than gain by fighting in a war.
- Britain was already becoming more concerned by Germany than by France
- France realised that they were starting from a poor position
- There was already a huge British army in Sudan!
- France was becoming consumed with Dreyfus Affair
- France also was becoming wary of Germany
The French blinked first and backed down
It was the last colonial conflict between Britain and France
1904 they would sign the Entente Cordiale and they would agree that Britain should keep its preeminent position in Egypt and Britain would back France in the rest of the Maghreb -
- Adding Tunisia and Morocco to Algeria