First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya
- 1952 - 60
- Kenya offered different problems with multiple tribes and groups in the colony.
- Europeans had been granted much of the best land
- The Mau Mau rebellion targeted European settlers especially in their isolated plantations and farms
- State of Emergency declared
- Suspects were rounded up and imprisoned
- Very brutal response to very brutal attacks
- Gruesome murders were meant to terrorise the European population into leaving.
- Carrot and Stick once again
- Land made available, wage increases
- A promise of independence,
- but only if law and order are present