First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
The Vichy French resisted at first but were encouraged by the hopelessness of their situation and by Free French sympathisers to surrender
- They handed over the colonies to the Allies.
This inability to control their own forces convinced the Germans that the Vichy government could no longer be trusted
- The Germans invaded the rest of France.
- Petain’s Vichy regime ended
- French Resistance stimulated into action
- The remainder of the French Fleet was scuttled in Toulon
- Much to the annoyance of Hitler
- Darlan had kept his promise to Churchill