British Empire Article


Palmer Plan for Haifa Port


Sir Frederick Palmer surveyed the entire coast of Palestine at the behest of the Mandate Authorities and confirmed that Haifa was the most suitable site for a deep water port. The port was officially opened on the 31st of October 1933. The rapid growth in the population of Haifa, which in 1936 numbered about one hundred thousand inhabitants, was of course, directly linked to the construction of the new Haifa port and its links to the wider infrastructure of the colony. Image courtesy of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem


Palestine Railways and Ports Article




Share