Shako 1832-45


The bell-topped shako was one of the smartest headdresses worn by the British army. It was introduced in 1822 but some regiments had silver lace around the top and this was changed so that in 1830 the regular regiments had only gold lace. The shako was made of black beaver, 8 inches high with a black glazed sunk top, 11 inches in diameter. The heavy plaited gold cord looped across the front was adopted in the 1830s and was part of the gold cord cap-lines that ended in ornate flounders. If the regiment was stationed at home the shako was fitted with white drooping cocktail feathers, but in India they had to have white horsehair as seen here. The badge was of gilt and silver with the new badge of the Royal crest, adopted after the regiment became the King's Light Dragoons. The actual date of the change to the Royal Crest badge was 1832.


Regimental Details | Uniforms




Share



by Stephen Luscombe