This photo was taken just prior to the Chitral Relief Expedition in 1895 and shows a section of the 1st KRRC with their prized Maxim Gun. The battalion received this gun on 13th March 1895 and had only two weeks to train for it's use before setting out for Chitral. The men here are dressed in khaki with black leather equipment. The khaki cloth covered tropical helmets have the regimental distinction of the chin-strap being fixed to the top of the helmet so that it stretches diagonally across.
They are armed with Lee Metford .303 rifles which were issued to them on 1st November 1892 to replace the Martini-Henrys. They had a longer range; 2,800 yards as opposed to 1,450. The sword bayonets were shorter; 12 inches as opposed to 22 inches. Each man carried 100 rounds. The men are wearing a medal ribbon for the Indian General Service Medal which was awarded in June 1893 with the two clasps for Hazara and Samana.