The King's Royal Rifle Corps


Officers' Pouchbelt Badges 1885 and 1906


The badges worn by officers on the pouchbelt differed in various details. The badge on the right was first introduced in 1830 when the regiment became the King's Royal. But in 1883 the left hand badge was introduced with the motto CELER ET AUDAX placed under the crown and more honours added. This example has the date for EGYPT as 1884 so it must date after that. The number 60 was removed from the centre as the title of the regiment had been changed by order in 1881. As time went on more battle honours had to be added until there was no room for any more. In 1906 it was decided to return to the old, less cluttered badge with 60 in the middle and PENINSULA beneath the Queen Victoria crown. Only the honours from the Napoleonic wars are on this badge. The battles on the lower arm of the cross are upside down. The topmost honour, ROLEIA appears on some badges as ROLICA.


Regimental Badges | Regimental details




Share



by Stephen Luscombe