Badge



The badge of the Mounties has remained almost unchanged since 1876 when officers' sabretaches carried the first version. A buffalo's head within an inscribed garter surrounded by maple leaves and topped with the Royal crown, the name was on scrolls beneath. The inscription on the garter read: MAINTIEN LE DROIT until 1912 when the spelling was corrected to MAINTIENS. The badge was worn on helmets after 1904 by which time the helmet, in full dress, was becoming obsolete and the badge was worn on forage caps.


Regimental details




Share




by Stephen Luscombe