The Yeomanry


East Riding Yeomanry


A pastel portrait of Thomas Grimston with his two children reviewing his troop at Grimston Garth, drawn by Henry Singleton c1794. The county regiments were made up of Troops raised locally, like this one of the East Riding and Grimston Yeomanry. The aristocracy usually financed the uniforms which in this case is the blue light dragoon style. The Troop are mounted on bay horses except for the trumpeter at the end of the line who wears a red jacket and has a grey horse. The Troop was disbanded in 1801 with the peace of Amiens, but re-raised in 1804 when the uniform was changed to red. They were again disbanded in 1814 and did not re-raise until after the Boer War, in 1903.


Army Units | Yeomanry




Share




by Stephen Luscombe